Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Field Trip #58: Belly Dancing = Cultural Exercise

Right now I feel like I am focused on more opportunities that can be brought to the school as opposed to taking students out of the building. Part of this thinking comes from the fact that I have already started to plan our International Week at Paul PCS which will take place from November 15-19th. So I have not abandoned the idea of getting students out of the building but I am just building up a reservoir of resources that I am trying to tap into for an amazing week at school.

So why not Belly Dancing? Here is yet another example of how a sport, music and now dance can be intricately linked to cultural history. This North African and Middle Eastern dance does not have a specific origin but it is intricately linked to the music, history and culture of that area. Students could research the background of this dance and also explain the outfit and musical instrumentation that accompanies such a dance. Students should not only learn the basic moves but also the cultural context of the dance.

So where do I go to find a Belly Dance teacher? I picked up a flier at Dance Place for an instructor named Moonira. I have since contacted her and hope that we can work something out for international week at school.

Contact Info:
www.moonira.com

No comments:

Post a Comment