Saturday, July 10, 2010

Field Trip# 40: Research at Russian Gourmet

This posting is more of a process posting. I mean that I would not necessarily suggest that you take a group of students to Russian Gourmet in Rockville because it is small and does not offer much for a class to do. But the important thing is to think like a researcher when you come across places like this.

It is very unassuming on the outside and when you enter you are greeted by a few rows of dry goods. This is a good start where you can pick up some candies, bread or even pickles for your students to taste at school. You can use this place to gather supplies for a more involved trip. But that is not the point of this posting. Every little market becomes a clearinghouse of information for the community and Russian Gourmet is no different.

As I walked in the front door I noticed posters on the wall that highlighted cultural activities in the area. Then I saw the best resource of all...the Russian Yellow Pages! This small volume of Cyrillic advertisements was mainly useless to me but since every place offered a website I could manage to find some interesting places.

Take a look at this ad in the Yellow Pages for RussianDC.com, there are almost no explanations in English and the only thing I recognize is the title, the phone number and the fact that it is a website.

So I jumped on the website today to see what I could find and I was amazed that it led me to some cool sites that I would have never found on my own (mainly because they are in Russian). So I will post some cool places in the next few days but I just wanted to explain how useful it is to just hit the streets and look at local bulletin boards as a launching pad to figuring out some cool places to go.

Contact Info:
Russian Gourmet
11431 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
Tel.: (301) 816-0550
www.russiangourmet.com


Close by is also European Delight (which I found out using the Yellow Pages)
1488 Rockville Pike, Suite 1
Rockville, MD 20852
(866) 912-0798

No comments:

Post a Comment