Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Field Trip #57: Chinese Medicine

Culture pervades all aspects of life and I have posted many things about music and sports but I think it is time to focus on medicine. Tracking down a very good Chinese Herbalist and Acupuncturist who is good at presenting to kids could prove to be difficult but I think it will be worth my while because of what it would offer to the students.

There is a small Chinese herbal pharmacy on 7th street just north of H street and I have taken my students there before. I even tried to schedule a talk with anyone who could explain the pharmacy to my students but there were language barriers. I even went through the Chinatown Cultural Community Center with no luck to orchestrate such a meeting. But in a pinch it is worth it to have students walk in there to see all of the teas and also the bins of Chinese herbs that are sometimes being packaged for a remedy right before your eyes. This little shop is called DA HSIN Trading Company right across the street from Fados on 7th street.

But I think it would be really cool to have a certified herbalist/acupuncturist to talk to students and even have a demonstration on their teacher! OK that might not work out but who knows. So I will start my hunt right now for someone who can present Chinese medicine to middle school students. I started my search at the George Washington Center for Integrative Medicine. I'll let you know if I find someone who I think is a good fit for talking to kids about Chinese Medicine.

Contact Info:
GW Center for Integrative Medicine
908 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Suite #200
Washington DC 20037
Phone: 202-833-5055
Fax: 202-833-5755
EM: info@integrativemedicinedc.com
http://www.integrativemedicinedc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment