Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Field Trip #1: Local Stop in Senegal

My first attempts at researching field trips will stay close to my school since I am still in session and also since I am looking to design really cheap field trips for my classes next year.

Restaurants are always a good bet for students to really experience something different. If it is true that "You are what you eat" then lets check out who lives in Senegal!

Just a few blocks north of Paul PCS on Georgia Avenue is a great little SeneGambi restaurant run by Aunty Libe. I stopped by today to get started on my trip around the world and I was met with a great opportunity to practice my French. This reminds me that as I look into creating engaging field trips for my social studies classes there will be crossovers into all disciplines. This would be a great recommendation for our French classes to come and speak with Aunty Libe and her daughter.

The restaurant is pretty sparse with some great photos and travel posters from the Ivory Coast. It is advertised as a "SeneGambi" palette but the Ivory Coast posters on the wall show that it could fit into a more general West African unit or field trip. Just to be clear though Aunty Libe is from Senegal and it comes through in her pride of being willing to explain Senegalese history. I would post a photo of her here but she preferred I come back when she was wearing something more traditional.


The food is great and she has an amazing piment that is so authentic that it takes me back to my study abroad days in Cameroon. It is basically hot sauce (made from habaneros) so I would caution students who are not used to eating very hot stuff.

The best dish is Jolloff Rice but definitely push the envelope with ordering meats and fish dishes to allow students to try new items. Definitely call ahead if bringing students because items change and run out and it is small space so Aunty Libe will need to know how to prepare for your group.
Another nice idea is to order fresh beignets. They are cheap and they taste great (about $2 for a fresh batch or $1 for a bag of four from the jar on the counter) and the kids will like them.




Affordable Field Trip Tip:
Order a few entrees and have students sample a little of each. It allows you to patronize the restaurant while keeping costs down for students. If you charge 20 students $3 you have $60 bucks which can go far here. Each dish is about $10-$12 and with 20 students sharing 5 dishes you will be able to have them taste everything without forcing students to eat an entire meal or allowing a restaurant to be offended with lots of left over food.



One last thing to mention about Chez Aunty Libe Resturant is that you have to check out the window items. You may easily overlook the learning potential from this collection of items. There is an alligator, a doll, a traditional mortar, a slingshot, baskets, bowls and even a shakere (shaker instrument) which could be highlighted before going to the restaurant to give more background knowledge.

Contact Info:
Chez Aunty LIbe Restaurant
6115 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20011
202-341-4815

2 comments:

  1. next, taqueria DF on Kennedy Street. Teddy's Roti on Georgia Avenue. I'm always happy to help sample stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew that education would be so delicious?!

    ReplyDelete